The Washington State Hospice & Palliative Organization (WSHPCO) is a nonprofit 501(c)(3) organization committed to taking a leadership role in improving end-of-life care through education and advocacy efforts.
We are dedicated to promoting and maintaining quality, compassionate care for those facing life-threatening illnesses.
The WSHPCO works to broaden the conversations surrounding quality end-of-life care in general wherever that care is being provided — at home, in nursing homes or inpatient facilities, and we take an important leadership role, working with legislators and governmental agencies to promote hospice as the model of care at the end-of-life in any setting and to improve access to hospice services.
The WSHPCO was incorporated in 1983 and is governed by an all-volunteer Board of Directors.
The Washington State Hospice & Palliative Care Organization strives to promote competency in hospice and palliative care professionals and to advocate for accessible, appropriate end-of-life care.
We do this by:
- Collectively working towards promoting common goals and concerns of hospice and palliative care providers in the State of Washington.
- Educating and informing membership and facilitating the sharing of information among programs.
- Promoting statewide acceptance of hospice and palliative care standards.
- Striving to represent hospice and palliative care programs in the State of Washington in appropriate regional and national organizations.
- Working to influence state and national policies concerning hospice and palliative care issues.
- Establishing reasonable rules and regulations for the Organization.
- Promoting non-discriminatory access to hospice and palliative care for all residents of the State of Washington.
- Supporting research on hospice and palliative care programs and issues.
Board of Directors
President – Chris McFaul
Horizon Hospice in Spokane
Vice President – Cynthia Tomik
EvergreenHealth Palliative Care in Kirkland
Treasurer & Past President – Gary Castillo
Hospice at the Chaplaincy in Kennewick
Secretary – Sonjia Hauser
Hospice Southwest in Vancouver
Franciscan Hospice and Palliative Care in University Place
MD, Mary Bridge Children’s/MultiCare Health System in Tacoma
Hospice of Spokane in Spokane
Compass Care, Virginia Mason Memorial in Yakima
Providence Hospice of Seattle in Seattle
RN, MN, CHPN, Evergreen Hospice & Palliative Care in Kirkland
MD, EvergreenHealth Palliative Care in Kirkland
RN, BSN, PHN, MBA, Accreditation Commission for Health Care
Whatcom Hospice in Bellingham
Barb Hansen, MA, RN, CWON
Director, Association Management
Leslie Emerick, MPA
Director of Washington State Public Policy & Outreach