The Washington State Hospice & Palliative Organization (WSHPCO) is a nonprofit 501(c)(3) organization committed to taking a leadership role in improving end-of-life care through education and advocacy efforts.
We are dedicated to promoting and maintaining quality, compassionate care for those facing life-threatening illnesses.
The WSHPCO works to broaden the conversations surrounding quality end-of-life care in general wherever that care is being provided — at home, in nursing homes or inpatient facilities, and we take an important leadership role, working with legislators and governmental agencies to promote hospice as the model of care at the end-of-life in any setting and to improve access to hospice services.
The WSHPCO was incorporated in 1983 and is governed by an all-volunteer Board of Directors.
The Washington State Hospice & Palliative Care Organization strives to promote competency in hospice and palliative care professionals and to advocate for accessible, appropriate end-of-life care.
We do this by:
- Collectively working towards promoting common goals and concerns of hospice and palliative care providers in the State of Washington.
- Educating and informing membership and facilitating the sharing of information among programs.
- Promoting statewide acceptance of hospice and palliative care standards.
- Striving to represent hospice and palliative care programs in the State of Washington in appropriate regional and national organizations.
- Working to influence state and national policies concerning hospice and palliative care issues.
- Establishing reasonable rules and regulations for the Organization.
- Promoting non-discriminatory access to hospice and palliative care for all residents of the State of Washington.
- Supporting research on hospice and palliative care programs and issues.
Board of Directors
President – Kathy Katzenberger, RN, MN, CHPN
Evergreen Hospice & Palliative Care in Kirkland
Vice President – Stacey Jones, LICSW, ACHP-SW
Providence Hospice of Seattle in Seattle
Treasurer – Gina Drummond, RN, MSN, CEO
Hospice of Spokane in Spokane
Secretary – David Brunelle, MD, FAAP
Virginia Mason Franciscan Health Hospice and Palliative Care in University Place
Past President – Chris McFaul, MBA, CEO
Horizon Hospice in Spokane
2022 Board Members
Anne Anderson, RN, CHPPN
Nurse Coordinator, Palliative Care Program, Seattle Children’s Hospital in Seattle
Becca Davenport, RN, COS-C
Director, Confluence – Central Washington Home Care Services in Wenatchee
Marie Eaton, PhD
Community Champion, Palliative Care Institute, Western Washington University in Bellingham
Sharmon Figenshaw, ARNP, ACHPN
Co-Chair, Washington POLST Task Force; Consultant, Honoring Choice Pacific Northwest/POLST and Serious Illness Program in Winthrop
Cheryl Medawattage, RN, BSN, BC: Gerontology, CHPN, ACHE, CPMN
Executive Director – Hospice, EvergreenHealth in Kirkland
Jodi Newcomer, RN, BSN, CHPN
Whatcom Hospice in Bellingham
Barb Hansen, MA, RN
Director, Association Management
Leslie Emerick, MPA
Director of Washington State Public Policy & Outreach