The Washington State Hospice & Palliative Organization (WSHPCO) is a nonprofit 501(c)(3) organization committed to taking a leadership role in improving end-of-life care through education and advocacy efforts.
We are dedicated to promoting and maintaining quality, compassionate care for those facing life-threatening illnesses.
The WSHPCO works to broaden the conversations surrounding quality end-of-life care in general wherever that care is being provided — at home, in nursing homes or inpatient facilities, and we take an important leadership role, working with legislators and governmental agencies to promote hospice as the model of care at the end-of-life in any setting and to improve access to hospice services.
The WSHPCO was incorporated in 1983 and is governed by an all-volunteer Board of Directors.
The Washington State Hospice & Palliative Care Organization strives to promote competency in hospice and palliative care professionals and to advocate for accessible, appropriate end-of-life care.
We do this by:
- Collectively working towards promoting common goals and concerns of hospice and palliative care providers in the State of Washington.
- Educating and informing membership and facilitating the sharing of information among programs.
- Promoting statewide acceptance of hospice and palliative care standards.
- Striving to represent hospice and palliative care programs in the State of Washington in appropriate regional and national organizations.
- Working to influence state and national policies concerning hospice and palliative care issues.
- Establishing reasonable rules and regulations for the Organization.
- Promoting non-discriminatory access to hospice and palliative care for all residents of the State of Washington.
- Supporting research on hospice and palliative care programs and issues.
Board of Directors
President – David Bucher, MSW
Franciscan Hospice and Palliative Care in University Place
Vice President – Kathy Katzenberger, RN, MN, CHPN
Evergreen Hospice & Palliative Care in Kirkland
Treasurer – Gina Drummond, RN, MSN, CEO
Hospice of Spokane in Spokane
Secretary – Stacey Jones, LICSW, ACHP-SW
Providence Hospice of Seattle in Seattle
Past President – Chris McFaul, MBA, CEO
Horizon Hospice in Spokane
2021 Board Members
Anne Anderson, RN, CHPPN
Nurse Coordinator, Palliative Care Program, Seattle Children’s Hospital in Seattle
DAVID BRUNELLE, MD, FAAP
Pediatric Emergency Medicine, Multicare Health Systems, Mary Bridge Children’s Hospital in Seattle
BECCA DAVENPORT, RN, COS-C
Director, Confluence – Central Washington Home Care Services in Wenatchee
Juan Iregui, MA, MD, FAAHPM
CHI Franciscan Palliative Care in University Place
Gloria Lay, RN COQS
Corporate Director, Qualify Assurance & Performance Improvement, LifeCare Home Health Family in Omak
Patricia MacDonald, RN, BSN, PHN, MBA
Accreditation Commission for Health Care in Bellingham
Jodi Newcomer, RN, BSN, CHPN
Whatcom Hospice in Bellingham
Tammy Tarsa, MBA, BSM, RN
Executive Director Home Health, Hospice and Palliative Care, Jefferson Healthcare Home Health & Hospice in Port Townsend
Barb Hansen, MA, RN, CWON
Director, Association Management
Leslie Emerick, MPA
Director of Washington State Public Policy & Outreach